Friday, January 31, 2014

Bars I Like - Pittsburgh, PA

I spent two years living in Pittsburgh while I attended the University of Pittsburgh for my MS degree at the Graduate School of Public Health. Coming from Fargo, ND it was a large transition but I was excited about it and met a lot of great people in the process.

Being a poor graduate student (and without a car) I chose to live near Pitt's main campus. The lab I was working in was located in the Hillman Cancer Center in Shadyside.
Hillman Cancer Center UPMC - Credit TheZachMorrisExperience - 09.22.2008

Since I didn't have a car and about 95% of my time would be spent in Oakland and Shadyside, I lived very close to the Hillman...very close...like I counted the steps one day from my bed in my apartment to my desk in the lab and it was less than 400.

Therefore, the bars I am going to list are all fairly close to each other geographically. I am certain however, that if these bars were spread out anywhere, I would still love them.

Silky's Pub
Silky's Pub - I love this bar. Right down the street from where I lived and worked in Pittsburgh, THIS is a neighborhood bar. Good drinks, good food, shuffleboard (what else could you possibly want?) But the list goes on. A unique location in the Bloomfield burough of Pittsburgh, a unique interior/exterior, and very close to the best 24 hour diner in Pittsburgh.

Sharp Edge Beer Emporium
Sharp Edge Beer Emporium - Located in Friendship, right on the East Liberty border, this bar was a little farther walk. However, this is the bar where my love of beer was founded. The variety is extensive. The food was great, the beer was great, the sports scene was great. There wasn't anything special about the layout. I remember the bar being a little on the small side and they had split the seating area into multiple rooms. This is where my unofficial going away party was held and whenever I get back to Pittsburgh, this is one of the first places I stop.

Hemingway's Cafe
Hemingway's Café - The best college bar in Pittsburgh, and one of the top in the country. Dollar drafts of Yuengling and Pitt co-eds. What more do you need to know?
BrilloBox
BrilloBox - The BrilloBox was hipster before hipster was cool (I don't even think that makes sense). Located in a great old part of Pittsburgh, the Box always had great indie bands, and a pretty unique crowd. There is a regular there (and man I hope he is still there) that I personally will never forget, he was there all night every night, it was amazing. He may have lived there. The Box will probably be most recognized by fans of "She's Out of My League".

Fuel and Fuddle
Fuel and Fuddle - Fuel and Fuddle was nothing special except that it has good food and good beer close to campus. Often times when students would come interview at Pitt, this is where we would take them. That being said, there were a lot of really good times here, and I met a lot of really great people in this bar. This also was the source of one of the best grades I got on an Immunology exam. We had studied really well over the whole weekend, I believe the test was Tuesday morning. The Steelers had a big Monday Night Football game and a group of us went out to reward ourselves. I think it was just what I needed, a little R&R before the test. Also...great sweet potato fries.