Saturday, January 11, 2014

What's In a Name?

Obviously, one of the most important aspects of of starting any business is the name, and branding of your business. Personally, I think this is even more important in the service industry. Bars and restaurants are known by their name and a lot of feelings can come with the mention of a name (good or bad).



With that being said, a couple of ideas have been floated over the course of our bar planning that I particularly like.

  1. Lance's - This is an obvious choice. However, what I would like to do is make the logo into two crossed lances and have it be a what I think is a rather cool visual play on words (which may or may not be a oxymoron). 
  2. Juanita's Last Resort - This is a long running name, probably the first name that we came up with way back in college. Outdated, and doesn't really mean anything anymore, I add it to the list just for posterity.
  3. Far-Going's - Again, I like this is a play on words. It would be a very nice name for branding purposes, and I think would convey a nice positive message which is perfect for a non-profit bar.
  4. Fargo Public House - The best part about this name is the tradition and history that it conveys. Public Houses were places people could go, get a beer, converse, debate, and were important centers of ideas. Unfortunately, this name isn't so original and there are many (insert city/state name here) Public Houses, and the first successful non-profit bar is the Oregon Public House.
  5. Sanctuary - Again, not necessarily an original name, (there is a great one in Iowa City, IA) but for a non-profit pub, I think it conveys the proper message and just has a really nice connotation. 
  6. Fellowship Pub - Relatively original name, and again proper messaging and branding. 
So my hope is that when the time comes, one of these works well and people gravitate and appreciate the name.


Follow me on Twitter